download of Install_PowerPac

Share ideas and post helpful tips and solutions.

download of Install_PowerPac

Postby Bertholon » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:23 am

Hi Clifton,
Whenever I download powerpac from its site or the beta release from this forum I get a file with a wrong header that cannot be unzipped.
Am I doing something wrong?

JF Bertholon
UPMC- France
Bertholon

Re: download of Install_PowerPac

Postby Clifton » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:54 am

Header problems suggest that the download did not complete properly and the unzip program on your hard drive does not know what to do with the file. I copied this from the winzip forum and it may explain this a little better.
Due to the nature of an open source format, it is very possible for you to receive a Zip file where a simple header issue exists. This header issue may be a minor mistake caused by the application or process used to create the Zip file. However innocent the mistake may seem, WinZip will treat all header inconsistencies, inacurate data, and incorrect extensions as possible security risks and report to you that the Zip file is corrupt. You may want to try to repair your Zip file at some point, as some of these matters can be corrected using a Zip file fix routine.

In other cases when the data in a Zip file is damaged, it may not be possible to fix the Zip file and you will not be able to extract all of the files correctly, if at all. Damaged data can affect the entire Zip file, multiple member files, or just one member file.

There are many possible causes for data damage. Among the most common is a transfer error when downloading a Zip file from the internet. Such an error can introduce invalid data into a Zip file. Some other possible causes include exposure of media to excessive temperatures or magnetic fields and mechanical problems with disk drives.

The best solution to the problem of a damaged Zip file is to try to obtain another copy of the file. For example, use your backup copy of the file or get a new copy from the original source. If you obtained the Zip file by downloading it, then downloading it again may solve the problem.

I cannot seem to duplicate this. Have you tried SAVING the download to your hard drive first, then try and unzip the file from the saved hard drive location? It may also be that trying a different unzip program may help; especially if you are currently using one that is different from the internal windows unzip utility

Please let me know if that helps.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Bertholon » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:48 am

Yes, I always download to my disk. I did that several times and used Explorer, Izarc and winzip to decompress -> non valid archive or bad header.
I could repair and unzip with Izarc but the install stops when copying "installhelper.exe" to its location in program files.
I use windows 7 64 bit.
There must be something with my machine. I'll try to install the trial version on another one and let you know.
Thank you for the fast answer.
JF Bertholon
Bertholon

Postby Clifton » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Have you tried updating using the "Check for updates" menu item in the PowerPac menu?
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Bertholon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:46 am

Actually, I was reinstalling Powerpac because the menu had disapeared for some reason . I've not been using TBK for some time.

I tried to download with another machine and it unzipped perfectly. The file was bigger and obviously it did'nt download completely with the other machine with no warning ( I did the download maybe 3-4 times.. Bizarre).
Yesterday, after repairing the zip, I could launch the exe but it stopped when copying Installhelper.exe. It did the same with my other machine today but I got a message from the antivirus that it had blocked a file "is-29RAQ.tmp" , infected with "Win32:Evo-gen". I suspended the antivirus for 10 min and reinstalled completely. The antivirus is Avast.

JF Bertholon
Bertholon

Postby Clifton » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Not sure about the issues that may be associated with the troubled download. Sometimes using a different browser to do the download can clear things up. Regarding the Avast warning, it is a false alarm and temporarily turning off the anti-virus or flagging the PowerPac installer exe as safe may be a work-around for the alerts.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Bertholon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:10 am

On my laptop, avast silently blocks the copy of Install and on the other machine it does the same plus flashes a warning with the name of the virus..
You should hear about that from other users.
Anyway, I'm up and running thank you.

JF Bertholon
Bertholon

Return to General Discussion