Transparent objects and IE w/HTML 5 enabled

Workarounds and usability notes.

Re: Transparent objects and IE w/HTML 5 enabled

Postby Clifton » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:55 am

Just curious but what happens if you update your PowerPac to the latest release (v12.525)?
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi Clifton,

Unfortunately release 525 does not solve the problem.
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Unfortunately this is not a PowerPac issue. Opacity from author mode is set for HTML 5 browsers like Chrome and Firefox during the export process. For some reason, when you export your page, the opacity setting is lost. I can confirm that opacity is unset for the yellow field when I use Firebug to examine the HTML in your export. When I export the page, the opacity property is present and set at 0.5 which the right behavior.

You should be able to create the same page and disable the PowerPac altogether. Then export the page and the transparency should be present in all browsers. Of course, HTML 5 support will be disabled in IE, but you can try this for testing purposes.

Here is my Firefox export screen shot with PowerPac disabled:

Image 3.png
    Firefox screenshot with PowerPac disabled. Note that transparency is preserved.
    Image 3.png (2.77 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:48 am

But if I disable the Powerpac the exported content won't run in the latest browsers. I get a Sum Total message saying that the browsers are incompatible.
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:10 am

That is true, however, just point your Firefox browser to the ns7 folder to the index.html file and the content will run so you can at least check your content without the PowerPac being enabled. You should see the transparency preserved and if you check the styles for the yellow rectangle there should be an opacity property set to 0.5.

If this doesn't work, it leads me to wonder if you have all the ToolBook v9 patches installed because something is not quite right during your export process.

You can still get around all of this by using the PowerPac styling functions like setOpacity() and pgStyleObject().
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:50 am

I have disabled the Powerpac and re-exported. As you suggested I was able to open the program by going to ns7/index.html. The yellow rectangle is still not transparent.

My Toolbook 9 has been updated with Inst901Update.exe and tb901hotfix.exe. As far as I remember there were no other patches. If there were maybe you would have them as I'm not sure that they would still be available from Sum Total.
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:36 pm

You can check your ToolBook v9 version in Help > About. Mine is showing 9.01.535.

If yours is something else, then maybe a resintall would be something to consider or at least rerun the tb901hotfix1.exe.

In my case I just used the install CD and then patched the installation by running ONLY the tb901hotfix1.exe.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Mine displays 9.00.424 !? I'll try uninstalling the patches.

UPDATE I uninstalled the 2 patches and tested for transparency with no patches, 1 patch and both patches. The problem was not solved and strangely the program number never changed.

I tried installing only the hotfix but this is not possible in my case. You must have bought version 9.01. I bought 9.0 and then applied a patch to upgrade to 9.01. I guess in theory we should have the same program but it seems we haven't! I'll have to settle for using the Powerpac to modify the opacity. Thanks again for the Powerpac!
John Robin Dove

Previous

Return to General Discussion