How to update

Workarounds and usability notes.

How to update

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi Clifton,
When I click to check for updates to my version 15.017.1 nothing happens.
Is there another way to obtain the latest version?
Thanks, Andy
Andy

Re: How to update

Postby Clifton » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:16 pm

If the update menu item doesn't work, it is likely because security software on your computer is blocking the ToolBook application from communicating with our web server. You can probably fix this by making sure that ToolBook as well as the JSPowerPac.exe have access through the firewall.

If you want to manually download and install, then just download the trial version of the PowerPac from our website at:
https://pgsoftwaretools.com?nav=PowerPac
Then click on Download and try it for FREE for 21 days.

Unzip and install. The trial version will install as registered if it detects that your current version was licensed and registered.

Let me know if you need further assistance. A considerable number of changes, new functions and other enhancements have occurred since your v15.017.1 version.
ENJOY!
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:03 am

I tried the download route but the exe got flagged by MS defender as containing a trojan.
Interestingly, this is the same AV that occasionally flags published books that use LZW compression.
My McAfee finds no problem with the file so I will just replace the Defender on my PowerPac computer.
However it looks like I will need to turn off the LZW compression so published books will run with Defender.

I'd appreciate any further guidance you may have. ~Andy
Andy

Postby Clifton » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:22 am

I've heard of others getting this warning.

I've personally never seen it. It is weird for Defender to flag .js files? Some get the warning even with LZW compression turned off.

Of course, if you run your book using the PowerPac web server, you should not see any flags as the system will treat the content as a fully qualified web page. It will not happen on an official web server either.

If the PowerPac is flagged as a trojan, it is because some anti-virus just complains about any software that uses AutoIt. Just mark it safe and the anti-virus should stop complaining.
Clifton
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion