The score showing in my Moodle gradebook isn't the score tha

Topics related to using ToolBook for building web apps.

The score showing in my Moodle gradebook isn't the score tha

Postby Robert Stevenson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:36 pm

I am experimenting with a Kahn Academy type mastery approach in which a student doesn't get to exit with a score and a 100% certificate until they have achieved 20 correct answers in sequence. Each time they get one wrong the "magic number" that they need to achieve gets re-set to 20. My problem is ... the Moodle gradebook shows the actual score rather than this "current score" that I have running through the quiz. Is there a way to put this global variable into whatever Toolbook uses as the actual score container?
Robert Stevenson

Re: The score showing in my Moodle gradebook isn't the score

Postby Clifton » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:03 am

In order to do something like this, you would have to have the course manage the quiz internally. This means that all quiz questions presented to the student must be set to not be scored. This separates the quiz from the LMS (or Moodle) tracking so you can allow the course to manage the exam behavior. On the last page of the exam you would place a single LMS scored M/C object and trigger the choices according to how the student performed.

So basically, you have to make sure all your exam questions have the "Score this question" item UNCHECKED.
mcImage.png
UNCHECK Question scoring to prevent Moodle tracking.
mcImage.png (28.26 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
Then, on the last page you would use a single M/C question object (hidden) that IS set to be scored. However, the state of this hidden M/C question would be set based on how the student performed on the NON-SCORED questions. A simple variable could be used to track the consecutive correctness of the answers.

NOTE: When a question is set to not be scored, this DOES NOT mean the correctness of the answer cannot be known. ToolBook still reports this to the course via the on question answered event. The scored option only governs whether the LMS is sent the score. That is why in this case you would need to turn this feature off so you can perform more advanced evaluation on student performance (e.g.: grading on a curve, etc.).

A typical action for the on question answered event may look like this for the non-scored questions that the student answers:
nonScoredQuestionAction.png
on question answered action for NON-SCORED questions.
nonScoredQuestionAction.png (31.94 KiB) Viewed 6031 times

You would have to decide how to evaluate the variable on the last page (or summary) of the course. If this is a simple pass/fail exam based on consecutive correctness, then just trigger your hidden M/C question to be correct (pass); otherwise leave it incorrect so Moodle tracks the course as failed.

This should give you a pretty good start.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:00 am

Very meaty (and appreciated stuff). Since I have over 100 randomized questions I was hoping to not have to re-script each question. I will have to ponder and play. At the moment I have the following on each page. If you see anything in the question object that I might be able to stay with do let me know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actions for Multiple Choice Question "Multiple Choice" of Page "New Page78"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- On question answered... -----------------------------------------------------
Set enabled of Navigation Button "next" of This Background to true
Set enabled of Navigation Button "previous" of This Background to true
If score = "correct"
Set visible of Web Graphic "correct" of This Background to true
Set currentmastery to currentmastery + 1
Set needing to mastery - currentmastery
Set text of Field "need" of This Background to needing
If currentmastery >= mastery
Go to page "certificate"
End if
Else
Set visible of Web Graphic "incorrect" of This Background to true
Set currentmastery to 0
Set text of Field "need" of This Background to mastery
End if

Actions for Web Graphic "correct" of Background "nodiagram"

-- On click... -----------------------------------------------------------------
Set visible of Self to false

-- On unload page... -----------------------------------------------------------

Actions for Web Graphic "incorrect" of Background "nodiagram"

-- On click... -----------------------------------------------------------------

-- On unload page... -----------------------------------------------------------

Actions for Button "Exit" of Background "nodiagram"

Exit (LMS: Student cannot resume) (LMS: no automatic navigation)

Actions for Navigation Button "previous" of Background "nodiagram"

-- On load page... -------------------------------------------------------------
Set enabled of Self to false

Actions for Navigation Button "next" of Background "nodiagram"

-- On load page... -------------------------------------------------------------
Set enabled of Self to false

Actions for Field "need" of Background "nodiagram"

Set text of Self to needing
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:27 am

If you have over 100 questions, then you really should make the actions for on question answered a sharedAction. That way, when you change something you only have to make the change to one action and not the actions on 100 objects.

You can use a little openScript to programmatically change property ASYM_WID_isScored from TRUE to FALSE on all the question objects.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:40 pm

I gave up on trying to understand the shared action permutations that would have to go into this and have gone with simply copy/pasting the pre-scripted question objects on to pages ... Problem is that last page. To date, nothing shows up in the Moodle gradebook. I have added a (hidden) mc question object on the certificate page (that they only end up with if they have 100%).. My problem remains how to get that 100% into the Moodle gradebook. I have tried many permutations of triggering the question object, etc ... but nothing seems to get me that 100% in the LMS. Any wisdom you could share would be much appreciated.

Actions for Page "certificate"

Define local variable "score" (Initial value: "")

Trigger Button "1"
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:00 am

To troubleshoot this, there are two basic steps:
  1. Is the score being reported correctly at the course BEFORE posting to the LMS?
    In this case, you should use a score field and verify that your logic actually causes the score to be set to 100%. My initial guess is that the problem is the score is failing to be set properly at the course level for some reason. (e.g.: It could be that you are triggering the M/C question, but not scoring it. Or it could be you have multiple buttons named "1" when triggering it and the system is triggering the wrong object.)
      I would set a basic prompt (i.e.: "Display Alert" action) for the on question scored event for the M/C question on the last page that pops up to tell you what score is being recorded and sent to the LMS. This prompt is for debugging purposes only and would be disabled for production use. The value in the prompt must match the score field value if you are using a score field.
  2. Is the LMS receiving the score that was generated at the course level?
    It item 1 works on and off the LMS, then this should not really be a problem as long as the same parameters are used to publish the course on the LMS as is used in other courses. Also remember to set the score this question property to true for the hidden M/C question on the last page. You need to trigger the choices in the question object regardless of whether the student got 100% so the system generates a 0% grade on fail. Otherwise the LMS may see this as a quiz never completed.
I've set this logic up several times over the years and found it works very well. So I know it should work.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:20 pm

That did it. Bless ya!
Robert Stevenson

Postby Robert Stevenson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 am

I have to revisit this question as I find that over the years in many learning tools I have used my own score variable through-out and incremented and decremented question scoring as I saw fit and then regurgitated this score onto some certificate that students printed. Now with all of this running from a Moodle LMS I am, of course, finding that the score that turns up in the Moodle gradebook isn't my score but the one generated by the scoring widgits from the catalog. I have successfully implemented what we had discussed earlier where students were required to get 20 questions correct in a row but would be REALLY useful is if I could come up with a way of using my actual scoring variable (the score that shows on the student's certificate) and getting it into the Moodle gradebook.
Robert Stevenson

Postby Clifton » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:15 am

Just curious, but is the reported score in your ToolBook course correct based on the responses during several takes of the quiz. Sometimes what is happening behind the scenes is that the questions may not be consistently set to be scored. ToolBook allowed developers to use questions objects that are scored and not scored. This can sometime mess with the value that gets uploaded to the LMS.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Robert Stevenson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:17 pm

They seem to be correct as far as the object scoring goes. I am just afraid to turn off the scoring for each object and rely on my scoring variable as I don't have a clue to get it into the Moodle gradebook upon student completion.
Robert Stevenson

Next

Return to Web (DHTML) Development