PGSoundLoader() not working in IE11

Confirmed or possible bug reports and workarounds

PGSoundLoader() not working in IE11

Postby Kataleena » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 am

I'm using PGSoundLoader() to play a .mp3, when playing in IE 11, the audio doesn't play with unless Shockwave Flash Object is enabled.
It works in chrome with flash on or off.

Thanks
Kate
Kataleena

Re: PGSoundLoader() not working in IE11

Postby Clifton » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 am

How are you disabling Flash?

What the PowerPac does is query the system to see if Flash is installed and if it is, it will prefer to use it for IE and prefer HTML5 for all other browsers.

When I force the PowerPac to use HTML5 for IE11, (query returns false for Flash not installed) it plays fine in HTML5 mode.

If may be the case, that we need to give developers more choice, but that hasn't been necessary because the auto-query has worked fine.

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Kataleena » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:24 am

Hi Clifton,

I disable using this method:

Click on the Settings gear button visible on the top right corner. Now select Manage add-ons.

Select Toolbars and Extensions on the left-hand side.

On the right-hand side, you should find Shockwave Flash Object. Right-click on it and select Disable.
Kataleena

Postby Clifton » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:50 am

Hello,

I'm not exactly sure what may be happening on your end, but here are my test results: PowerPac v14.023.x and Windows 10
  1. Created a single page tbk with both a video and audio file loading on load page. Auto play is off in both cases for sake of experiment.
  2. With Flash enabled, both files play as expected in all browsers. IE11 uses HTML5 for the mp4 video and Flash for the mp3.
  3. With Flash disabled using your method described above, both files play using HTML5 in all browsers.
  4. With Flash enabled and allowFlashFallback = "auto"
    Both files play in IE11, however, the mp4 video will play using HTML5, which is preferred in "auto" mode. The mp3 audio plays using Flash.
These test results seem to reflect the intended design of these functions given various scenarios.
If you provide a non-working example with the media files, I would take a look and see if I can reproduce what you are seeing.
For what it is worth, it may be that a corrupted Flash installation is giving trouble on your end.

On another note, please use the PowerPac server to confirm your findings. Browser and Flash updates are making more and more difficult to play media from the hard drive directly. That is one of the reasons why we have provided this developer feature for testing content.

Clifton
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports