htmlVideoLoader() and caching

Help for using specific functions

htmlVideoLoader() and caching

Postby Kataleena » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:18 am

Hi,

When I was using UMP to play .mov I always manually edited the external.js to had extra paramters, one of them was <param name=\"CACHE\" value=\"false\"/>. Now I'm using htmlVideoLoader(), is there a way to ensure when the course is ran that cached .movs are not being used?

Thanks
Kate
Kataleena

Re: htmlVideoLoader() and caching

Postby Clifton » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:04 pm

The ability to disable caching will be introduced in the next release. The function currently allows the browser to handle the video in its default manner (whether cached or not is based on how the server delivers the video or how a device is configured). I've just finished a beta test version to disable caching and it works very nicely in IE, Firefox and Safari.

Please note that even with the current version (v12.01), once the user closes the browser, the video stream is lost and will reload the next time the course is launched. Disabling the video cache is really only useful when the user stays in the current session and you want each video access to pull up the most recent version.
Clifton
Site Admin

Re: htmlVideoLoader() and caching

Postby Clifton » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:06 pm

PowerPac v12.02+ now includes the ability to disable caching for videos launched with htmlVideoLoader(). A new parameter has been added called disableCaching. When set to true, the video stream will NOT be cached by the browser. The default value is false and continues to allow caching.

Please note that some browsers and devices may still override this, but in our tests we could successfully disable caching using this new parameter.
Clifton
Site Admin

Return to Function Help