htmlVideoLoader()

Help for using specific functions

Re: htmlVideoLoader()

Postby Clifton » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:41 am

The "tiny" video problem on IE9 has now been officially fixed and will be reflected in the next PowerPac update. If other browsers displayed videos very small, like thumbnails, the fix should benefit those browsers too.

Thank you for your help on this!
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Clifton » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:30 pm

A new parameter for htmlVideoLoader() (though not documented in the popup help) will be called allowFlashFallback. This has already been added to the htmlVideoLoader() function (for the next PowerPac release) and the developer can choose on a execution level in the Actions Editor which method to use for any particular video.

Other values for the parameter are:
allowFlashFallback = "auto" (Prefers HTML 5 but will use Flash if necessary.)
allowFlashFallback = false (HTML 5 video will always be used except if the video is an FLV, then Flash will be triggered.)
allowFlashFallback = true (Prefers Flash but will use HTML 5 on devices not supporting Flash. This will still be the default behavior.)

If you view the sample test page that we have been using (url not provided in the context of this post); it has been updated to show the same 4 tests, but with developer selection for HTML 5 on the left side and Flash (preference) on the right side. If for some reason the htmlVideoLoader() cannot load the video stream as HTML 5, it will still fallback to Flash.

This should pretty much give you everything you need for video compatibility. This adjustment actually makes it possible to create a very intelligent playback mode selection system in the Actions Editor; one that is even superior, in my opinion, to the one in the VideoJS player.

There a couple of video formats I'm working on supporting in the function, but that will be for an even future release.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby Kataleena » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi Clifton,

Thank you for investigating and fixing the video size issue in IE9 in such a timely manner.

The new parameter allowFlashFallback is a fantastic addition to htmlVideoLoader and is what I need for my projects. It will also solve my issue of my videos not playing well on some computers using Firefox and flash.

Once again many thanks

Kate
Kataleena

Previous

Return to Function Help