pgGotoURL

Help for using specific functions

pgGotoURL

Postby PetrH » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:13 pm

I am working on a feature to allow the user of a toolbook lesson to open a form in a new Web browser window and enter some information. I am using the pgGotoURL function to open a popup window that loads my form. In this case it is a PHP file.

In the "otherFeatues" parameter, what does the "location" value in the parameter value string mean? I thought it meant to hide the URL in the new browser window. Since I can't seem to get rid of the address bar in the popup window by setting the "location" value to 0, I'm guessing the "location" value has a different purpose.

Is there anyway to keep the browser from showing the URL of the form showing in the popup window?

I don't want to open this form in the Toolbook file using a field object. Using the PowerPac to add this feature will cut down dramatically in the size of each page in my book.

Thanks,
Pete
Peter
Always available for Toolbook work.
[email protected]
PetrH

Re: pgGotoURL

Postby Clifton » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:53 pm

The way I understand the location property of a popup window is that the address bar is generally disabled rather than hidden. This feature has changed greatly as browsers have increased in security and methods. Even at that, the otherFeatures that are supported by pgGotoURL() may produce different behaviors in different browsers. Some browsers seem to persistently open a new tab regardless of the settings used.

Therefore, I would recommend using the function subModal() to open the web form. subModal() is really a popup window in an iframe on the page. Thus everything about the source property of the window is basically hidden from the user. Plus, you can still interact with the main window application and send data to it from your remote web page if you need to. You can also send a user event when the subModal() window is closed to notify the ToolBook application that the user has finished filling in the form.

Both functions, pgGotoURL() and subModal() are really designed to provide the ultimate in flexibility for displaying remote content.
Clifton
Site Admin

Return to Function Help