Problem using pgGotoURL

Workarounds and usability notes.

Problem using pgGotoURL

Postby John Robin Dove » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:37 am

Hi Clifton,

I have at long last completed the new version of my program. There are some positive signs. It's faster and with your new resizing system the opening page looks a lot better on the tablet but as soon as I go to other embedded pages using pgGotoURL it goes back to the old format where the page is far too small and also flicks from left to right.
However this is not the main problem at the moment as I have a much worse situation. I use CKEditor as a notepad in the program. I load it into a TB field using pgGotoURL. This no longer functions in the new version. It will work with Firefox but not with Chrome or Edge. I have made a test app to demonstrate this. I hope it produces the error on your system too. I have tried to make it as small as possible while still using the original code. It's here https://www.mediacours.com/tb_examples/testPad.zip

What I can't understand is that the old version, which I left on the web server, still works!? 

I've been trying to solve the problem for days. I'm hoping you'll maybe have some ideas.

John
John Robin Dove

Re: Problem using pgGotoURL

Postby John Robin Dove » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:32 pm

I've just had a look at the xml file I sent you and the following lines should be removed

tbfunction_pgTBObjSet("continue", "caption", txt);
tbfunction_snapObjectToCenter("continue", "textDisplay", "x", false);

tbfunction_pgGotoURL("specialChars", "../../schars/index.html");

Sorry about that but they don't seem to make any difference and are not causing the problem.
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:22 pm

I cannot seem to figure out the problem in your code. I do see that it works in Firefox but not in Chrome-based browsers.
  • There does seem to be complaints on github that the editor does not load in Chrome above v79.
  • It may be that you just need to download and use the latest version in your app.
I did download the latest vanilla version of CKEditor from github and when I load it in a field using pgGotoURL() it loads and works!
The CKEditor is nice addon and I will keep it in mind for a future project.

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:02 am

Hi Clifton,
Thanks for your efforts. Using the latest version would seem to be the way forward but I have put off doing this for years. Upgrading from version 3 to 4 there was no problem I just downloaded the new version and it automatically used all my custom configurations, which took me a long time to achieve. The new version is different as is made clear on the CKE website.

How to migrate from CKEditor 4 to CKEditor 5?
When compared to its predecessor, CKEditor 5 should be considered a totally new editor. Every single aspect of it was redesigned — from installation, to integration, to features, to its data model, and finally to its API. Therefore, moving applications using a previous CKEditor version to version 5 cannot be simply called an "upgrade". It is something bigger, so the "migration" term fits better.
There is no "drop in" solution for migrating. Please refer to this guide to see a summary of the most important aspects to be taken into consideration before you proceed with migrating to CKEditor 5.

I have just downloaded the latest version but I'll have to start again because the new version requires you to choose all the necessary elements before you download. So far I haven't managed to do this.

I stlll think there is something in my code that is preventing CKE from loading correctly. For example, if I don't resize the pad before loading CKE, it loads but does not respect parts of my custom configuration. And there is still my old version on the web server that functions exactly as planned! How I wonder. But the sensible thing is to use the new version so I'll try again...

If and when I solve this problem I shall need your help to try and tame the performance of my program on tablets etc.
Thanks for your help.
John

UPDATE
I have downloaded the old version from the web server and, incredibly, it works. Please see eaxmple here https://www.mediacours.com/tb_examples/testPadOK.zip I cannot see any differences apart from the fact that the folder is called CKE instead of cake. I also made it more like the original by waiting for it to confirm loading before attempting to open it but I had already tried this with the previous tesrPad app to no avail. I shall avoid changing anything else. It feels like carrying a basket of eggs!
I started trying to use the latest CKE but got nowhere. It is nothing like version 4. In the long term I think I shall have to try and use it but for the time being I'll carry on testing the program on the tablet. Unfortunately This probably means I'll be in touch again soon because there are still problems to solve.

UPDATE 2
My luck is holding! :D The old system works fine on the uploaded new version of the program. I guess it's it's nothing to do with luck really but it certainly feels that way!

If you have time, check it out here https://www.mediacours.com/login user name: US-1 password Hwr251Oq admin: esRQj10j teachers: DfY8bZZO or alternatively let me know how much I owe you for testing.
John
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:48 am

I tried putting your older version on my office server and it wouldn't load in Chrome (fine in Firefox just like many people who are using this addon indicate on github).

But, if it works when it is officially uploaded to the web, then perhaps you don't need to make any changes to the editor at this time.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:11 pm

It works both on xampp and on the web for me. I hope it continues to do so...
John Robin Dove

Return to General Discussion