Windows Security

Workarounds and usability notes.

Re: Windows Security

Postby John Robin Dove » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:55 am

Yes it's an annoyance rather than a problem. As Toolbook and Powerpac are designed for programmers rather than the general public, I guess it doesn't matter all that much.

I'm a bit reluctant to change my path at the moment. My whole system is based on it and, if I change it, the whole house of cards will fall. Also, if I remember correctly, the files targeted previously were not in that directory.

I am surprised at the wording of the message: (translation) This program is dangerous and it executes commands sent by a malicious person. No buts or maybes!

John
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:23 am

You should probably send this "false positive" to Microsoft. I think they have a reporting system for things like this.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:32 am

So far I have found no way of contacting Microsoft about this. The info on the internet seems to be out of date. It is about Microsoft Defender which is now obsolete. The question/reply service built into Windows Security is absolutely useless. As my Windows is in French it always gives me information in French and it seems to be out of date or irrelevant in most cases.
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:54 am

Try this link for file submission:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission?persona=SoftwareDeveloper

You will have to sign it to your Microsoft account; which is basically your email and password used to access Windows 10.

The form looks current.
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks. I've sent the file off for analysis. We'll have to wait and see.
UPDATE
Bit of an anti-climax. I received a very non-user friendly response this morning which I found difficult to understand. This bit suggests that for this particular file the problem has been solved.
I followed some instructions to run exes from the command prompt which ended with failed but I don't think that's a problem. I think the process was intended to ensure that the latest virus definitions are installed so I did it manually instead. Strangely the word 'Defender' no longer appears anywhere in the French version but is apparently still used in English versions. I'd be surprised if the the false positives stopped after this because so far they have targeted many different files in different locations.
John Robin Dove

Previous

Return to General Discussion