Toolbook / Powerpac loading problem

Workarounds and usability notes.

Toolbook / Powerpac loading problem

Postby John Robin Dove » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:36 am

Hi Clifton,

For some time I have noticed that if I tried to open a script in TB 9.01 two error messages appeared:

1)

2)

After that the script editor opened and the script could be accessed. This was not a great problem because I don't use Toolbook native much these days but I discovered the problem when someone asked for help on a native project. I was about to re-install Toolbok but as a precaution I checked that Toolbook / Powerpac was OK on another computer. Surprisingly the same two messages appeared on the other computer when I tried to open the script editor. This suggests to me that the problem must either be caused by a Windows or a Powerpac update. To test whether it was Powerpac related I deactivated the PowerPac license. I saw a message telling me that PowerPac had been deactivated successfully. However when I tried to open Toolbook again I got this message.

It now seems impossible to get PowerPac back again on that computer. I have tried adding C:\Program Files (x86)\PGSD ToolBook Plugins\PowerPac\PGSD_PowerPac90.sbk using the View/Options/Startup menu as explained elsewhere in this forum but to no avail. Can you help please?
John
John Robin Dove

Re: Toolbook / Powerpac loading problem

Postby Clifton » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 am

Hi John,
The memory-related errors may have begun appearing after a Windows update. If I completely deactivate and uninstall PowerPac they still exist. It seems the control that loads the toolbar ribbon in the script error is what triggers this error. After you dismiss the errors, the script editor opens and works normally, but it will not correctly display the toolbar or ribbon. Interestingly, the script editor problem does not occur in the Windows XP and I expect in Windows 7 all is fine too. I will continue to explore alternatives.
    NOTE: All versions of ToolBook are affected by this "memory" error. Suggests to me that ToolBook is making a call to use a Windows DLL that has either been removed or modified by a Windows update and thus triggers to the error.
If you can offer any insight into why this is occurring, your comments are welcome.

The other error involving installHelper.exe I cannot duplicate.
This error is probably the one that is causing the trouble in getting ToolBook/PowerPac working again.
Try these steps to get PowerPac working again: (If you only have ToolBook v9 on your computer, you can skip #1 and #3.)
  1. Backup and save the folder:
    C:\Users\[your account]\AppData\Local\ToolBook
  2. Completely uninstall the PowerPac.
  3. Double-check to make sure the uninstallation DID NOT remove the saved folder from item 1. The PowerPac installer does not manipulate this folder, but some over-aggressive uninstallers may remove it. Just restore it if you need to.
  4. Disable your anti-virus product if you are using anything except the standard Windows Defender.
  5. Reinstall the PowerPac.
  6. Run ToolBook and register the PowerPac.
  7. Re-enable the anti-virus product.
If at any point in the above process you get any errors or weird messages, please let me know.
Thanks!

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:34 am

Not a good day! I cannot download the PowerPac from your site. Maybe I'm not clicking in the right place. All I get is this:

John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:39 am

Umm ... checking into this right now!
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:44 am

By the way, have you seen this http://tb.sumtotalsystems.com/KBFiles/kb/ToolBook%20Knowledge%20Base.html or did you perhaps write it? :)
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 am

Until I figure out the web error, please use this download link:
https://pgsoftwaretools.com/toolbook/phpLibrary/attachments/Install_PowerPac.zip
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:08 pm

Thanks Clifton,

The PowerPac is now up and running again on both my computers.
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:13 am

I received this replay from ToolBook support regarding this problem. It seems a February 2020 Windows update caused this to begin happening.
Here is their comment on it:
http://tb.sumtotalsystems.com/KBFiles/kb/ScriptEditorError.html
Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am

Umm...yes. I saw this on 12/03/20 and mentioned it in my post above but thanks anyway :)
John Robin Dove

Return to General Discussion