Exporting to HTML with TB 9.01 + excessively large files.

Workarounds and usability notes.

Exporting to HTML with TB 9.01 + excessively large files.

Postby John Robin Dove » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:52 am

Hi Clifton,

This is not a new problem and don't waste any time on it if you think it's unsolvable. For about a couple of years now, ever since my project files got too big, I have not been able to export to DHTML without problems. It's not a disaster but annoying nonetheless. The worst case scenario so far has been that all goes well until the end of the Powerpac export when I see this (see picture).Image I say all goes well although the first dialog window freezes and displays 'not responding' (or words to that effect - I don't know exactly what it would say in English because I get it in French). On the positive side once the Powerpac export has finished everything has been exported but often the program hangs after the picture appears and I have to use the task manager to close Toolbook before restarting it.
I may be completely wrong about this but I get the impression that it's been misbehaving more since the last Powerpac update but this could also be because my files have got slightly bigger again. In the future I will make sure to split content into several tbk files so that this cannot happen but I'm very close to completing work on the oversized files so I'm carrying on regardless.
It is something to do with the three export dialog windows that is causing the problem as if the last one has lost the focus and cannot complete the last phase of the process. If you can see a quick fix it would be nice but otherwise don't bother. I can live with it for a few weeks more. :D

John
John Robin Dove

Re: Exporting to HTML with TB 9.01 + excessively large files

Postby Clifton » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:40 am

How large is your TBK file that seems to cause trouble?

Have you tried using the repair kit to remove possible file corruption?

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:53 am

Yes, I have (frequently). As I said before, don't waste time on this as it's basically my fault. I should not ask Toolbook to do things it's not designed to do!

The file is 2 149 Ko + a 52.2 Ko js file
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 am

I believe I mentioned before that the XML capabilities of the PowerPac can greatly reduce file size. You can even use the XML abilities to have you XML files create DOM objects on the ToolBook page.

Anyway, hope this work out for you.

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am

I have just discovered that even small files like the two described in the post above have problems exporting. The picture shows what I see as soon as the Powerpac progress bar disappears. If you click on the gray window you get a beep because apparently the other one is modal. I wonder if you could add a pause or something to prevent this happening. It happens after the blue and white window freezes and displays 'not responding'. As I mentioned before, fortunately all the exports are in fact finished when this happens, so it coulde be worse.

John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Can you send me a sample of a problematic tbk so I can evaluate what is happening?

I'm wondering if you are running some openScript for enterPage (etc.) and forgetting to forward the message. During export this can create issues for the ToolBook exporter. Non of what I'm seeing is a PowerPac issue so far but looks like there is something hanging the export process in the background. This can often be openScript-related.

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:11 am

Hi Clifton,

I don't think there has ever been any openscript in my programs other than that generated by the actions system. This file startAudio.tbk is very small but still fails to export correctly as you can see in the video. I have put the tbk and mp4 in this zip: https://www.mediacours.com/tb_examples/startAudio.zip

John
John Robin Dove

Postby Clifton » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Thank you for submitting a file.

I loaded renamed the video to comply with the application and then exported this in ToolBook v9.01 and it exported and played fine. There was no freezing of ToolBook or locking of dialog boxes.

Are you using ToolBook v9.01 or v9.0?

Clifton
Site Admin

Postby John Robin Dove » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 am

I am using 9.01 but as you may remember it is not the same 9.01 that you have. It is 9.0 updated to 9.01 with a patch and a hotfix. This should make it the same as yours but it doesn't. It still has bugs that you don't have. You.sent me all the tb files from your instructor folder but that still didn't fix everything. There must be problems elsewhere.
John Robin Dove

Return to General Discussion